Friday, December 3, 2010

Flower Girls


It's peonies season here in New Zealand. My local farmer friends in Oxford have been clipping and packing these away to be sold internationally for as much as $10 per flower. Now that the season is drawing to a close, many flowers are still on the bush, but won't be shipped or used, so I've been allowed to help myself for free!

I've also been asking the Lord for some creative ways to reach out to people in Christchurch. Sharing with others about my faith doesn't just happen when I'm leading a Christian group, it should be a lifestyle.

Two nights ago I had a dream that woke me up at 4:30 in the morning. I had the idea to clip some of these flowers and give them out to people in downtown Christchurch. Unlike so many good, God-inspired ideas I have, I decided to act on this one.

Friday afternoon Kayla, Anna and I went flower picking in the warm summer sun. We went downtown to the main square with our buckets labeled "Free". Attached to some of the stems of flowers we put little notes with Bible verses like, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”
(Jeremiah 29:11&12).

I didn't have much of an plan of what to say. The girls and I prayed before we started. The main goal: That people would encounter God's love. We would hand out the flower and tell the person that this is a reminder of how very much God loves them. "He loves you because he loves you because he loves you!" Most couldn't believe we were giving these peonies out for free.


One random young guy came and parked himself right next to me. He didn't want a flower, but he was quick to announce, "God is a D.J." He seemed a bit dark, maybe dealing with depression or something. As he watched people come and receive these beautiful flowers to represent God's love, you could see the wheels turning in his head. He said, "I'm confused. You're not like those Christians that come door to door trying to cram the Bible down my throat. I don't like how that feels." I asked him, "So what does this feel like?" He thought and said, "It feels like... love."

A teenage girl dressed in black with her head hung low walked with steady pace along the sidewalk near me. I called out, "Would you like a flower?" Her face lit up as she slowly approached. "Here you go - pick out whatever one you want. This is to represent how very much God loves you!" Grinning, she took the flower and then open her arms to me. I gave her a big hug and her whole countenance changed. It was beautiful! She took off before we could chat more, but you could see this little physical act of grace impacted her.

Kayla and Anna had sweet encounters as well. Christchurch square was filled with people grinning with flowers in hand. I pray that each person who received a flower also received a glimpse into God's heart for them.

No comments: